Saturday, August 18, 2012

Best of the Web This Week


I got a quite pleasant surprise last evening when I got up to fix dinner and get ready for work.  I noticed my phone flashing its message light so I checked my voice mail.  I had a message from the boss saying my schedule had changed from its usual Friday, Saturday, Sunday & Tuesday to Saturday through Tuesday.  This meant I did not have to work last night but rather got to spend a pleasant night at home futzing around on my computer, napping and talking to my friends on Skype.  It also means I only have to deal with truck night on Tuesdays, I don't have to put up with Friday night madness, and I get a 3 day weekend every week.  I am not gaining any hours but neither am I losing any.  All and all it is a very good schedule for me.  This actually worked out for me as I had totally spaced doing the laundry Friday morning so I did not have a clean uniform anyway.  I still have to do the laundry this morning, however I go when the laundramat (laundrette) first opens which means my usual machines are open, there is hardly anyone around and I get it all done in about an hour and a half with no hassles.  I also get to catch up on the book I am currently reading as I only read it when I do the laundry because I do so much of my reading on line instead. 

Now that our exploration of Beethoven's Piano music is over and done, I have a very special video for you guys today.  It is no great secret that I have an affinity for Baroque Italian Composers like Corelli, Vivaldi and Boccherini or that I definitely have a thing for Cello music.  The video today contains all 12 Concerti written for the Cello by Luigi Boccherini, who is often referred to as the Mozart of the Cello.  The performance is by the Southwest German Chamber Orchestra of Pforzheim conducted by Vladislav Czarnecki.  The Cello Soloist is Julius Berger playing the Stradivarius Cello that belonged to Boccherini when these Concerti were written.  The painting in the video is 'Among the Sierra Nevada Mountains' by Albert Bierstadt.  The video runs 3 and a half hours so that will give you plenty of time to cruise and peruse the more than 80 of this week's outstanding photographs selected from the 940 that I collected.  Thanks for choosing to spend part of your weekend here at Nichevo, see you again on Monday.  Until next time as always, Enjoy! 


























































































Posted by Picasa

No comments: