Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Scattershooting


I received a text from the boss at 8:30 yesterday morning asking me to work last night to which I assented, so I did not get to enjoy a night off, but I made money, so all is well that ends well.  And end well it did.  The boss man has tightened the money controls just a bit in order to pinpoint someone with light fingers.  This meant that I can no longer close the shift before the next shift arrives, which I thought would be a problem as my day shift is notoriously late.  However, boss man must have ripped them a new one as both girls arrived before 6:00 to my delight.  This was two days in a row that I got off on time (a world record there!) and is something I think I could get used to.

When I was a young man, there was a columnist at the Dallas Morning News by the name of Blackie Sherrod who would do an occasional column under the heading "Scattershooting while..." in which he would touch on several semi related topics.  As I spend a lot of time on the Internet and run across lots of semi related things due to the nature of the feeds in my reader, that is what I am doing today: "Scattershooting while hot linking" to the things I have run across in my web wanderings.  The first thing I want to tell you about is a great mash up of Super Friends and The Golden Girls that I ran across on Towleroad.  I think you guys will have a good laugh at that one.  Also in my feeds came this interview posted on Outsports with Brian Burke, President and General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs of the NHL from TV Ontario on Homophobia and Hockey.  It is a great interview that covers a lot of ground from the 'You Can Play' project to when will we have an openly gay player in the NHL.  A great investment of about 25 minutes that is both entertaining and informative.  Then there was a couple of articles of interest over at LGBTQ Nation worth mentioning here also.  The first is a about how NY City is setting aside 3.3 million dollars for the Ali  Forney Center for homeless LGBTQ youth to renovate a facility to provide an additional 17 beds for them to be named after Golden Girl alumna the late Bea Arthur as the Bea Arthur Residence for Homelss LGBT Youth.  Finally  there was Maureen Gill's first part of a two part story on a former Army Ranger who is now transgender woman entitled 'Welcome Home, Soldier'.  I look forward to next Sunday's completion of the article, which I will of course link you to come next week.

That brings us around to the music and the men, now doesn't it?  As far as the music is concerned, the video I have today is a classic French recording from somewhere between 1964 and 1968 from all I can discover.  The recording is several piano pieces performed by Thierry de Brunhoff, concert pianist turned Benedictine Monk, son of Jean de Brunhoff and his wife Cecile de Brunhoff, co creators of the Babar the Elephant series of children's books. All of the pieces of music are not named in the video description, although the composers are.  Thierry plays pieces by Handel, Daquin, Couperin, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Chopin, Schumann, Mendelssohn, Faure, Ravel, Rachmaninoff, Bartok and Debussy.  All in all a very listenable experience of about 45 minutes.  Following the video is another collection of those manly, muscular men who are in The Cowboy Way who just might cause a rise in your Levi's as you peruse the lot of them.  I guess that just about wraps up today, so I thank you for stopping in and we will see you tomorrow.  Until next time as always, Enjoy!































Posted by Picasa

No comments: