Wednesday, November 14, 2007

A Response To "Asking For Help"

I was chatting with Ryan, my buddy from Boys Are Ugly, the other day and he invited me to contribute to his other blog, It's Raining Men. It came up in our chat because he wanted me to read this post "Asking for help" from a young man who was seeking help and advice on coming out. The part of the letter he wrote to Ryan that broke my heart was this one:
  • "I can't think of a time when I haven't wanted to kill myself. I've spent a lot of time contemplating suicide over the years, but have never been able to work up enough courage to slit my wrists. I keep hoping that I'll wake up one morning a normal straight seventeen-year-old, but I know how stupid that sounds."
It is all too prevalent an occurrence in our community that our young people kill themselves because they feel they are alone in their struggle. They should not feel that way as there are now resources available, such as Matthew's Place, to them to help them through this time in their lives. Not all sections of this nation have these resources available except maybe on line which is a shame but none the less a reality. So today when I was over at You Tube, I ran across this video from a guy who suggested we create a Coming Out Archive of videos to help people with their struggle to accept themselves and be accepted by the others in their lives. There were many responses to this and so I compiled a short list of videos, created a custom player to play them and posted it over there. I also posted the player right below these paragraphs in the hopes that they might help someone seeking support in the journey along the path of their life. In the passing along of our experiences, we strengthen those who hear them and do our small part in making this world a better place in which all people can live together in harmony and peace.


No comments: