Friday, November 23, 2007

Auntie Holiday Makes An Appearance

The holiday season is upon us once again so in an effort to stave off Auntie Holiday yours truly decided to break out the holiday decor. I just hope that my experience at Thanksgiving dinner is not a harbinger of things to come for the season. I will not go into detail but to give you a clue, I was the only one eating at the dinner table where I was invited to share a family holiday with Gal Pal and her family. Uncomfortable is the kindest word I can think of to describe the situation. Luckily for me I escaped back to my place in time to for the ball game of most importance to me. The Dallas Cowboys did a lot to lift my mood as they steamrolled the New York Jets 34-3 making team history in the process by going 10-1 on the season. The Packers and the Colts also won their games (sorry, Ryan) setting up the scenario for next Thursday's battle for home field advantage for the playoffs in the NFC with the 10-1 Packers. Unfortunately most of the nation will not get to see the game because it is being broadcast by the NFL network which is only available to about 1/3 of the nation due to a conflict between the cable companies and the NFL network. Luckily I live in the Dallas area and we will get a local feed as per NFL regulations. It should be a classic battle between two premier QB's and two tough defenses. Of course I am pulling for the Cowboys to win and get top seed in the NFC playoffs with a possible NFC Championship game at Texas Stadium. Hype and anticipation should be high this week as the media is already touting the game heavily.

My day went down hill from there as I had switched days with my coworker so he could spend the holiday with his gf so I had to work the midnight shift last night at the hotel. I arrived at work to find we had an event starting in the ballroom. Turns out it was a Jamaican wedding, but why start at 10 PM? There were hundreds of people swarming all over until after 5 AM this morning with lots of children present. Small children should be home in bed or with a baby sitter if the parents are going to be out until 5 in the morning. Needless to say I tired quickly of shrieking children running up and down the hallways and through the lobby and an almost untenable noise level from the ballroom itself. Now I like to party but was not prepared to deal with a raucous party or drunken guests who could only communicate at a decibel level equal to the jets at DFW airport. It made for a very long night so by the time I got off my nerves were well frazzled. There was a bright spot in that Str8rooomie and his Gurl brought me dinner from his mom's table which was really delicious.

Anyway, I am going to try not to be pessimistic about the holidays. My longtime readers will remember the struggle I had last year leading up to the semi-reconciliation with my blood family at Christmas. Relations are still cool and I am not really looking forward to the family experience come December 25. Uncle Gerry will make his best effort to not let his personal struggle interfere with the joyous celebration of the true spirit of the holiday in these pages. I grew up loving this time of year and I will try to eschew bitterness at the apparent inability of some members of my blood kin to embrace acceptance or at the least mask their intolerance better than they ever have. Thankfully my chosen family and friends in the blogosphere warm my heart and give me hope by reminding me of their love and respect.

As you guys know, I celebrated one year of blogging last month. I am quickly approaching another milestone. As of today I have had 97,816 visitors to Nichevo and with my current average daily readership I should reach 100,000 in less than a week. Now I know that my numbers are not burning up the blogosphere like Towleroad, DailyKos, or Beautiful, yet when I started Nichevo I never thought I would be read as widely as I am around the world much less touch the lives of 100,000 people in some way. I am humbled by the acceptance I have received and the many comments and emails of encouragement sent my way by so many of you. So I will continue to put myself out there and burn up electrons looking for the finest of photography to bring to these pages for your enjoyment. So together we will continue on the journey that is Nichevo with bright hopes for the future. May this holiday season bring you the joys embodied in the true spirit of brotherhood and equality for all our brothers and sisters wherever they may be. I remain unabashed and I am still looking for friends wherever I may find them. I hope you like the holiday decor. Until next time as always, Enjoy!

































Posted by Picasa

No comments: