Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Safe Harbor At Last

Posted by Picasa

Where to begin, that is the question. Today has been so full, one does not know exactly how to begin to tell you all that has happened. So I will start with a n update on yesterday's post about Fsgt King, the NY Times today published a video narrated by Dana Canedy, his fiance. It is a fitting tribute and excellent addendum to the article "From Father to Son" I talked about yesterday. I am truly sorry FSgt King will not be around for his son, he sounds like he was a marvelous man that I would have been proud to know or serve with for that matter. When will the sacrifices end? We must insist on George telling us that.

Posted by Picasa

In other military news the former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, John Shalikashvili wrote an OPED piece also in the NY Times entitled "Second Thoughts On Gays In The Military" where he does not question their fitness to serve only the timing and the inevitability of the ban being lifted. From a General Officer, this is indeed good news and some that the present administration should listen to if only they did not have their heads stuck so far up they can not hear any thing but their own farts. As a veteran that was separated before there was any tolerance at all, I want the future generations of military men and women never to have to suffer the same slings and arrows that we in the past have had to endure. It will happen, we just have to keep pushing for the when.

Posted by Picasa

Meanwhile in Maryland's Montgomery County Blair High School has been invaded by Virginia's Parents and Friends of EX Gays (PFOX) with a flier spouting religious clap trap and untruths about homosexuals. You can read the flier here and the reactions of the Principal, students, staff and parents in the school newspaper Silver Chips here. The fundies die hard but eventually we will win this battle too. God made us all and the sooner they realize this the better off we will be. We still have to love them, but we must also educate them in the error of their ways so they do not ruin another generation of American Youth with their lies. (/end soap box)

Posted by Picasa

In personal news, the first day on the new job went very well. It was taken up with a lot of administrative things, introductory videos, lots of paperwork and some product training. The best part of the paperwork was the non discrimination policy which specifically prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. This was very good news for me as I have been on the butt end of that stick in too many other companies, to find one that specifically prohibits discrimination is joyous indeed. There are a number of LGBT person's employed there and it is a safe place for us to be. Uncle Gerry has found his port in the storm. There is no smoking in the building of course, but the designated smoking area outside has both heat, shade and ceiling fans so weather should not be factor in the pursuit of that particular pleasure. Now don't write and tell me that it is not a pleasure, it is my pleasure, I don't tell you to smoke, don't tell me not to. For me it is as much a individual right to participate as it is yours not to. So let's all agree to disagree on this point and move forward to the real problems that we as LGBT people face with the likes of George in charge.

Posted by Picasa

The campus where I am working is indeed a beautiful place with a two tier lake and fountain at the bottom of the hill out front and two beautiful black glass towers at the top of the hill with a expansive lobby connecting the two. We have Cafe Munch with a Chef not a cook and an on site fitness club that is only $2.50 a month for membership. This I will probably take advantage of as I will be in a mostly sedentary position, I will need to increase my exercise to keep my girlish figure in line. Not that I have that great a figure but I do not want to look like a Sumo wrestler either. So if we must we must.

Posted by Picasa

It is already late and I have to get up in the morning (yea!!!!) so I will leave you with the usual assortment of eye candy for your viewing pleasure and meet you here once again tomorrow. So until then as always, Enjoy!

Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa

Posted by Picasa

Posted by Picasa

Posted by Picasa

Posted by Picasa

Posted by Picasa

Posted by Picasa

Posted by Picasa

Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uncle...
I'm so delighted that I'm dancing like a leprechaun on St. Patrick's Day.
No, Auntie. It's a jig--not the Tango.

Love from
The Gingerbread House