Sunday, March 05, 2017

Mellow and Musical

This week has been a good one, starting with last week's concert. It was a fabulous performance that got a very favorable review in the F W Star Telegram.  The second part of the concert was the Dvorak Cello Concerto with soloist Johannes Moser.  Prior to the concert I had purchased his CD with the Dvorak on it and I was lucky enough to be first in line to have him autograph the cover for me.  I really liked the little Cellist he drew on his shirt on the cover.  His performance was a rapturous rendition of one of my favorite concerti as was the rest of the concert.


The concert energized me for the week and it turned an ordinary week into an upbeat experience topped off with another raise on Friday as well as the weekend off.  I have been house vegging all weekend just because I could.  I spend so much time on the run it is nice to have nothing to do for a change

I have a check up appointment so my surgeon can look at my surgical wound and its healing.  It looks good in the mirror but there is a depression where the cyst was that I am hoping will fill back in over time.  but I have full use of my arm and shoulder which is the important thing.

I don't have much on the agenda this week, so I am hoping for and upbeat yet quiet week at work.  They have adjusted my schedule at my request and my doctors behest to slw down.  Like I mentioned earlier, the weekend is mine as I approached their wwallet and said surely there is someone you could pay less than me to stand at the register for 3 hours while Robin did the work which is basically my function on Saturday.  My replacement makes 2 dollars an hour less and I have one less work day in my week.  They have also adjusted the Tuesday Truck Night so I am only there from 10 pm to 2 am  help with the truck and then go home.  This will make it easier for me with a few less hours (which I don't need) and one less work day (which I do need).  Let's hope my upward trend and mellow mood continue into the coming weeks and months ahead.

The play list for today contains one of my all time favorite transciptions. The Sonata for Arpeggione and Pianoforte in A minor, D 821 by Franz Schubert was written for an instrument  very similar to the Violoncello.  The Arpeggione as an instrument is no longer around and this Sonata is the sole surviving composition for that instrument.  Today it is hauntingly beautiful in the modern transcription most often heard for Cello and Piano.  The first recording in the playlist is the 1976 recording featuring Lynn Harrell on Piano and James Levine of the NY Metropolitan Opera on Piano.  However I also find it wonderfully transcribed for Viola and Guitar and just as hauntingly beautiful.  The latest recording and the second in the playlist is by the duo of Andrea Dieci & Duccio Beluffi recorded live in Parma at the Auditorium Casa della Musica on May 29th 2016 at the Niccolò Paganini Guitar Festival.  It is posted just below for your listening pleasure followed in due course by some Eye Candy below the playlist. This is for those not into man art who may scroll no further than the play list after reading my c0mmentary of the week.  Thanks for the visit, please do come again.  As always, Enjoy!





No comments: