Friday, August 01, 2014

A Random Act of Kindness



There are some days when you really don't feel like getting out of bed.  Yesterday was one of those days, every time I got up, the only thing that appealed to me was going back to bed.  So that's what I did for most of the day.  Not one of my better days, for sure.  I was despondent and fairly listless, but I still had to work from 5-11, which I did.  I was not really6 ready to deal with people too much, so up to 8 I just did all the chores around the store while my coworker ran the register.  I was alone from 8 -11, and that was a chore for sure and went downhill from there.   However, even bad days have their bright spot.  

Around 10:30, I had a string of customers, most of whom said the usual "hey how are you?" or "what's up?".  At that point, I had little energy to spare for faking "great" or even "so far, so good".  In a moment of extreme candor, I responded to one customer's "how are you", "My Mother just died and I feel terrible." for which I immediately tried to back track and apologize for. That gentleman left and business continued.  However that customer returned about 20 minutes later and approaches the counter where he hands me a beautiful condolence card.  He did not say anything, but communicated his condolences with his eyes as he motioned for me to take the card.  I opened the envelope and the wording of the message on the card caused my emotions to overwhelm me and I totally lost it.  I tried not to cry but rather carry on with business.  My relief man showed up and noticed my state of distress and asked if I was OK.  I said no and burst into tears whereupon my coworker came around the counter and cleared the customers waiting on service.

It took several minutes to compose myself before I could drive home which included just bawling my eyes out on my coworker's shoulder.  I haven't really cried all that much since Mother passed away, having tried to keep it together while taking care of the details involved in the business side of death.  Just goes to show you what holding stuff inside can do to you.  If not for that random act of kindness from a stranger, I may not have let the dam burst to release all the pent up emotions I have been holding back.  This also proves there are still good, compassionate people in this world who show up when you least expect and need it the most.  I will always remember fondly that customer who returned kindness in exchange for my rudeness.  We need more people like him and to be more like him ourselves.  A lesson I would do well to remember.  

 Your Friday Musical Moment features the Music of Johann Nepomuk Hummel with his Septet in C Major, Opus 114 "The Military".  Today's performance is by members of the Nash Ensemble.  You may also hear his Grand Concerto for Bassoon and Orchestra featuring soloist Robert Rønnes on Bassoon with the Stavanger Radio Orchestra Condcuted by Frank Shipway over on my tumblr.

Then to kick of the weekend, below the video you will find  a little extra man art in today's collection of hunks and hotties who are on display as your Friday Fantasy Fuel.  Additional fuel for your fantasies can be found in the Hottie of the Day! over on my tumblr.  Thanks for stopping in, see you again soon.  Until next time as always, Enjoy!






































Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Bailey;-) said...

**huggz** I'm so glad for that kindness.