Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A Soldier Asks "Why Are We Here?"

It has rained here in Dallas most of the last few days, so as a consequence, my internet has been down. That is one of the problems with a public wireless network, no control and the weather has a dishearteningly real effect on the connection's availability. It came back up last night right before I had to go to work and has been in and out all day today. As a result, I missed out on posting for my birthday on Sunday and Memorial Day. I celebrated my 56th birthday by working 17 hours. We had a Quincenera in the ballroom Sunday night and were extremely busy so work was definitely an adventure on my birthday. In the hours that I was not working I did manage to do a little bit of celebrating with Gal Pal and her boy toy that continued into yesterday. Today I finally got some rest in between times of trying to access the internet to catch up on things.

One of the items I found in today's surfing was an article in the Nieman Watchdog, the blog for the Nieman Foundation for Journalism at Harvard University. It was written by a young soldier serving in Iraq, Donald C. Hudson, Jr. The article "A soldier in Iraq asks in despair 'Why are we here?'" illustrates the frustrations the troops on the ground in Iraq have with the personal and political agenda of George and his equally clueless pals. Private Hudson asks succinctly "
Why are we here when this country still to date does not want us here? Why does our president’s personal agenda consume him so much, that he can not pay attention to what is really going on here?" He then tells the story of his experience of May 10, 2007 when an IED hit his convoy and cost the life of his friend Michael K. Frank, who he says was a great friend and mentor to most of the young soldiers there. The story is not pretty, but needs to be heard, especially by those in Washington who refuse to lift their heads out of the sand (or their butts for that matter). Private Hudson closes with this "Now I am still here in this country wondering why, and having to pick up the pieces of what is left of my friend in our room. I would just like to know what is the true reason we are here? This country poses no threat to our own. So why must we waste the lives of good men on a country that does not give a damn about itself?" I sure wish George would answer that question. I wish Congress would ask that question of George and demand an answer instead of caving in to his desires for more money to continue the waste of lives he has created with a bed of lies. I wish I had an answer for him and I most definitely wish I had the power to bring him and his fellow soldiers home before they too have to give their lives for a lie. Isn't it about time Congress asked this question, how many more lives must be wasted before there is enough blood on the table for George and his cronies. This war has served no other purpose than to enrich a select few at the cost of too many lives of good men and women all because of George's lies and his refusal to see or say the truth. Don't we deserve a better answer than the ones we have been getting?

The eye candy portion of today's post is focuses on the eyes. If you have ever gotten lost in the eyes of another, or had someone get lost in yours, then you will certainly appreciate the beauty, depth and mysteries contained therein. So until next time as always, Enjoy!










































All photos processed with Picasa2
Posted by Picasa

No comments: