Friday, July 18, 2014

The Gathering



I have talked to a great number of folks with whom I haven't spoken in way too many years this week.  My Uncle in Andrews, my Aunt in Maui along with many of the people I knew growing up here in Fort Worth.  My friend and coworker found the contact information for my Mother's favorite Music Director from Wichita Street Baptist Church way back when.  When I spoke with him he said he would be honored to sing Mother's favorite hymn at her Memorial Service on Monday.  I am sure that many of Mother's political and religious associates she has worked with for so many years will be coming for the services as the word spreads.  Everyone with whom we have spoken has in turn remembered others who may like to pay their respects so the list of attendees expected is growing.  My Nephew is coming from Nashville but I don't know if my youngest niece is coming from Anchorage yet.

The weekend promises to be full of both grief and joy, remembrances and reunions as well as lots of food and drink.  The Church is holding a reception following the Memorial Service which will give us all a little social time together after our formal good byes to my Mother.  I have to work my normal Fraturday routine today and tomorrow, but I am taking Sunday as well as my regular Monday off in order to be able to do all that is necessary and proper for the Gathering of family, friends and associates who wish to honor her with their presence.  I will probably not post anything on Saturday however I will play Monday's post by ear for now.  I may suspend publishing until Tuesday just so I won't subject myself to deadline like pressure to publish something while these events swirl about over the next few days.  So bear with me until all these things are done and then we will get back to the Music, Men and More! you have come to expect in these pages. 

Your Friday Musical Moment features the Music of Johannes Brahms with his Violin Concerto in D Major, Opus 77 which is a violin concerto in three movements composed by Brahms in 1878 and dedicated to his friend, the violinist Joseph Joachim. It is Brahms's only violin concerto, and, according to Joachim, one of the four great German violin concerti.  Today's performance is an all German presentation with the legendary Herbert von Karajan conducting the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra featuring Anne-Sophie Mutter as the violin soloist.  You may also hear Brahms Trio for Clarinet, Cello and Piano in A-Minor, Op. 114 over on my tumblr.  

As promised, your photographic display of Art in the Male Form is back today.  As the weekend events will be somewhat nostalgic, I dug through my Eyecatcher archive to give you a reprise of magnificent men I have posted at one time at another over the years.  Classic Art is always worth another look and these guys are sure to provide you with plenty of Fantasy Fuel for a Friday.  There is additional Fantasy Fuel in the Hottie of the Day! over on my tumblr.  I really appreciate all the condolences and kindness shown to my family and I this week, it has meant a lot.  Thank you for spending a little time with me today, see you again soon.  Until next time as always, Enjoy!


































1 comment:

Bailey;-) said...

I hope you find comfort, and am glad you are re-connecting with people you've been apart from .