Thursday, December 18, 2014

Thursday Trifecta



I have had a busy morning what with it being pay day and all that goes with that.  However I did run across a trio of articles on Outsports that reiterate a lot of my on feelings on the subject matter at hand.  There is a new study out which concludes: LGBT people change the minds of others on our issues, not straight people.  Many LGBT Activists, myself included, and our allies have contended this for a while now.  Straight people and their attitudes towards LGBT issues make a palpable change for the better when exposed, even briefly, to real LGBT people and their stories.  Live in person, in print or over the Internet, our stories matter and they are not only the most effective but the study indicates that it is the only way others hearts and minds are changed.  It is hard to hate someone you know!  

Two companion articles illustrate the conclusions of the study brilliantly. In one,  Coach Julie Shaw feels fear every time she comes out.  She does it anyway tells the story of Julie Shaw, obviously, who is the Head Women's Basketball Coach at the University of LaVerne.  Julie is Openly Gay and gives training sessions in a variety of forums to other Coaches and Administrators on how to handle LGBT issues in their own organizations.   The fear she feels is the same fear we all fear, the fear of a negative reaction and rejection for who we are.  Julie says her voice shakes every time she tells her story:

"So if I am asked to share my story I will share it, just like I am today. I think in so many areas of our life it is important to share your story, because by sharing you are giving someone a chance to connect, grow, change, and sometimes even give them strength. I have gained so much strength, inspiration and motivation from the many people who have shared their stories with me, and for this I will continue to share my story.

For those who have thanked me for this small act, I want to say "thank very much" for making it easier for me to speak without my voice shaking."

The third story that so aptly illustrates the value of telling our stories, 108 athletes, coaches, officials and sports administrators came out publicly this year, provides a wealth of inspiration with the stories of these 108 people in the public eye who have made a difference in other peoples lives.  They have done that by being themselves, coming out and living to tell their stories.  Their stories are all different, yet very similar.  They tell of individual struggle, self awareness leading to self acceptance which then private acknowledgement.  That final step of public acknowledgement is most often the biggest single hurdle in any LGBT person's life.  They are however encouraged and inspired when they see, hear or read about someone just like them that found the courage to be themselves.  To know us is to love us

So there's your trifecta, a trio of articles that reinforce the part we all play in the march towards Equality for All.  I will continue to do my part always looking to inspire you with my own personal trifecta:  Words, Music and Art.  All of which I have shared with you joyfully over the last 8 years to your most gracious reception.  Thank you for allowing me to be some small part of your life.  Now on to the entertainment portion of this party!

Your Thursday Musical Moment follows along with the trio thing we have going today with 6 String Trios, Opus 47 (G 107-112) by Luigi Boccherini.  These trios date from 1793 and were composed between February and October of that year. Compared with the 'great' trios, Opus 14 (1772) and Opus 34 (1781), they are treated in a far simpler manner. These Opus 47 works, unlike their predecessors which consisted of three or even four movements, have only two movements. Not one of them, incidentally, is written in a minor key.  Today's marvelous performance is by Trio L'Europa Galante: Fabio Biondi (violin), Angelo Bartoletti (viola), & Maurizio Naddeo (cello).  You may also hear one of my favorite Boccherini pieces, La Musica Notturna delle Strade di Madrid - Op. 30 n. 6 (G. 324) with a performance by Le Concert des Nations under the baton Jordi Savall over on my tumblr

Then to serve up some sizzling sultry sexiness of the my machismo variety, this week's edition of Men in Jeans should provide fuel enough to fulfill the fantasy on any guy's Erotic Christmas Wish List.  Someone else who might appear on your ECWL or mine would be the Pretty Country Boy who is your Hottie of the Day! over on my tumblr.  Thanks for hanging around until I arrived. see you again tomorrow. Until next time as always, Enjoy!


























No comments: